Saturday, January 19, 2008

counterpoints

One big reason I wanted to come to Madrid was to expand my social conscience. To discover what makes a person of one nationality different from a person of another nationality. I wanted a counterpoint to the American mind set. In America we are well aware that we are “the greatest nation in the world.” Which, is true. We are a very wealthy nation, even with our economic slump of late. We have a powerful military with correspondence all over the world. Our art and media is influential all over the world…I hear more American music in Madrid than I do Spanish music. They likes No Doubt. My point to all of this is, in America we know this. We are told this by our leaders often. But being raised in America, I really know nothing of any other nation in the world. Just tid bits of tragedies that make it onto the television and newspaper. But as far as individual culture of a different country. Nothing. Nothing at all. And maybe this is because I’ve dedicated my study time to books, and not international studies and things of that nature. So it may be my fault. But me thinks not entirely. Even when I read the newspaper, the world section is very brief and usually only cover tragic events, such as storms or bombings, and or major political ones.
But, what I want to know about is the individual. I want to know about the average human, who is just like me, who lives a small life driven by personal satisfaction with an understanding that the grandeur of the coverage of the media is essentially irrelevant to our everyday lives. I will never be president. I will never be a suicide bomber. I will never be celebrity. I will live my quite life seeking happiness in the small things I find the most meaningful.
So, I got one counterpoint last night. I say one, because I hope to get many more. And while i had fantasized it would be Spanish counter points that I would be logging into my brain, last night was from a Spaniard, but rather a couple of Italians. Two girls, Franchesca and (well I call her because I can’t freaking say the full thing) Gabby. Both are studying at the URJC through usac as well. Last night we found a quite corner in a faitly quite bar in an are of town called Chueaca. It was I, two other American students—sarah and yelim, and the two Italians. And the conversation naturally turned towards life in our home countries and eventually stayed focused American politics. Much was said about the war in iraq and 9/11. and much was said about how president bush handles both and how the policing of the world is not Americas job. Which everyone at the table was in concurrence with. I don’t think it’s necessary to go into details about this topics. It’s pretty self explanatory. The more interesting part to me was the empirical evidence of my fundamental belief, which I pulled from reading literature from many nations through many time periods. People are people. Wherever you live we are equivalent. And while, yes, culture shapes mindsets and presentation of an individual, our thoughts are inherently equivalent.
One thing I was worried about coming to Europe was the stereotyping of the American individual. I was worried I’d be mistaken and seen as our government is viewed. Dominating, loud, aggressive. I was worried that the separation of the individual from the entity that is America would not be empathized with. Which, atleast with my Italian friends, couldn’t have been further from the truth. Infact, it’s well understood. And it’s a universal mindset. It applies to all peoples from any where in the world. The individual is valid and their thoughts are valid and love and harmony and compassion are seen in all peoples from any where in the world. Last night I was viewed as an individual first asked freely my thoughts of the state of many situations and my beliefs were accepted as valid based upon my free will and the acknowledgement of my private being.
I guess the counter point I ‘m trying to make clear. What I pulled from last night was how the Italians viewed Americans. Gabby said that when she thinks of Americans she thinks of faced paced, consumer driven people, who do not take time out of their day for personal enjoyment. And one thing I’ve definitely noticed with the Spanish siesta is that this is definitely true. In spain, every day all stores close for three hours and people meet at cafes to be with their friends and family. It creates such closeness of individuals to spend so much time together. It creates stronger bonds and makes friendship more of a loving situation than simply and companionship thing. Yes, I agree with gabby, Americans are faced paced and it seems often we do not take time out of our days to enjoy the simplest things in life. Friends, conversations, the beauty of the world that is always around us, i.e. the trees, the flowers, the blue sky, the sounds of the city. I’ve noticed this in the states. How can a self proclaimed vagabond/drifter/romantic/dharma bum/new aged hippie minus the need for drugs not realize the importance of these things? These things are what make me happy are what make my life full. But yes, hearing it from another culture is uite impressive. To realize that other places in the world put emphasis on such simple practices was all too cool.
Another counterpoint I loved, and I’m summarizing here, is that gabby views Americans as spoiled, to which franchesca agreed, to which I’m sure many Spaniards would agree. In the states we really know nothing of foreign countries. We know the bare minimum in fact, and often (and I really don’t mean everyone, in fact I’d say it’s the minority) view other countries as inferior and irrelevant to the power of the united states. We are spoiled because we don’t have to learn another language. Because the rest of the world is trying to learn ours just to keep up. At fourteen Gaby’s parents sent her to England to go to school because they knew it was necessary for her to learn English in order to be successful in the modern world. But American don’t have to do this. And most of us don’t have a desire to even try. We fully know that with English we can accomplish many things in the world. Which is completely true. So, too often, the desire for social expansion is not desired. Is not of any importance. And for this reason we are spoiled. And I am not trying to think of myself as a hero, really I am not. I just simply had never ever though of America in this manner. In fact, I was not really aware how powerful America is. I mean I knew. But didn’t understand. In italy, and I’m sure other places, it’s necessary for the peoples to stay informed on American politics and economy because so much of what the states does affects them at home. America has three giant military bases in italy that if or when the time comes, will turn italy into a war zone without them even wanting it to be. America is a very strong nation, I just never understood how strong it was.
Finally, I’m not trying to sound anit-america. I’m not. In fact after last night, I was very proud of my upbringing. Without being raised in Idaho on a farm in America I wouldn’t be the person I am today. And I like me. I actually left the bar with a feeling of gratitude. This doesn’t mean I agree with our politics or our stance in the world. But, I am grateful for my heritage. And to know that being American does not mean being stereotyped is a really good feeling. I look forward to my return to the west (though I am far from ready to have it actualized). I look forward to the trees and rivers and the nicety of the peoples throughout the pacific northwest.

huzza!
jake.

No comments: